CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas— For the second straight game, McNeese women’s soccer played its opponent to a tie.
Friday night the Cowgirls played Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to a 1-1 tie to improve to 4-5-3 overall and 2-2-3 in conference play. TAMU-CC improves to 7-4-1 overall and 4-2-1 in the SLC with the tie.
McNeese took the early lead when Rachel Young scored her third goal of the season off a free kick as she crashed the box and got behind the defense for a header from the right post in the 15th minute to give McNeese a 1-0 advantage. Megan Mielke was credited with the assist, her first of the season.
The Islanders tied the game one apiece in the 53rd minute off a Morgan Westbury penalty kick goal.
McNeese will travel to league leading Lamar for a 1 p.m. game on Sunday. The Cardinals dropped their first game of the season, a 2-0 home loss against NW State tonight to fall to 9-1-1 overall and 6-1 in the SLC.
• Rachel Young scored her third goal of the season to give McNeese a 1-0 lead
• Megan Mielke was credited with the assists on Youngs goal for her first of the season.
• Goalie Jackie Kelly was credited with four saves
• The tie is the third for McNeese this season, all coming on conference play
• Amanda Whiting saw her first action of the season since being sidelined with a preseason injury.