Aussies in certain states are being offered a raft of cash and travel vouchers as incentives to get out and experience post-lockdown life.
Australians will get access to travel vouchers valued up to $300 as an incentive to get out and experience post-lockdown life.
The NSW government is reigniting its popular Dine and Discover voucher scheme, offering two more $25 vouchers to residents.
Queensland has launched its own voucher scheme, with residents able to apply for 50 per cent off tourism experiences across the state.
Tasmania has also joined the party, with people living in South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland offered a $300 voucher to boost travel to the state during November and December.
The NSW Dine and Discover vouchers can be spent on eating out and recreation and entertainment.
The expansion means each NSW residents has been given $150 since the scheme was first introduced in March.
It was extended twice after millions of vouchers went unclaimed and Sydney was plunged into a snap lockdown in June.
NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said the two new vouchers would be made available before the summer and should automatically appear in the Service NSW app.
Residents have until June 2022 to spend them.
“When these extra vouchers come in, in December, please go out and spend them,” the Premier said.
“Support your local businesses that have been doing it tough. It’s been a difficult time, but there’s a bright future here in our state.
“I want people to go out, like many, many have, to support local businesses.”
The extra vouchers will cost the government a further $250m.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the new Great Queensland Getaway campaign on Thursday morning.
The new campaign will offer discount codes for up to 50 per cent off tourism experiences to a maximum of $100 in the southeast, central and western Queensland or $200 in North Queensland.
“This is an important part of our Covid-19 economic recovery plan which will entice thousands of Queenslanders to get out and explore their own state,” she said.
The scheme launches on October 18 at 9am at queensland.com.
The new Tassie Holiday Voucher program, a partnership between the state and federal governments, will look to entice people to the Apple Isle.
The program will provide residents of Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia with the opportunity to receive a $300 voucher towards a visit to Tasmania during November and December.
“We know that visitors from Victoria and NSW traditionally make up 70 per cent of total interstate visitation to Tasmania, and the ongoing border restrictions with these markets have significantly impacted our visitor economy,” Tourism Minister Sarah Courtney said.
“This program is expected to stimulate travel from interstate markets that currently have open borders with Tasmania, providing vital economic support for our accommodation, tours and attractions sector.”
Up to 10,000 vouchers will be on offer, and recipients will receive a voucher of $300 to use during their travel – $200 for accommodation and $100 towards attractions or tours booked during the eligible period.
The vouchers will be issued via a ballot, with successful recipients booking their travel and redeeming the voucher discount through a Tassie Holiday Voucher online marketplace.
The NSW Premier revealed the state’s voucher scheme while also detailing an alfresco dining package.
Like last year when venues were allowed to take up street space to allow people to sit outdoors, the same initiatives will be brought in for the summer – but they will be permanent.
The Premier said up to $500,000 worth of grants were on offer to councils across the state to improve their high streets and amenities.
“We want to make sure that every single neighbourhood can flourish and have activity and action right through the summer months and beyond,” Mr Perrottet said.
“These grants will help them with that as well.”
Additionally, $5000 grants would be available to 5000 businesses on a “first-in, first-served basis” so they can expand alfresco dining into their carparks and gardens, the Premier said.
This is part of the state government’s $66m Alfresco Restart Initiative.