Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6 reports on conditions and/or operations this week and asks motorists to be aware of possible delays or lane closures.
KENTON COUNTY, KENTUCKY – HAMILTON COUNTY, OHIO
• Brent Spence Bridge – I-71/75 Southbound/Northbound (191.3 – 191.8 mile-marker) – A routine maintenance project to clean and paint the Brent Spence Bridge is underway. The project will require various lane closures on both the north and southbound decks of the bridge, as well as the closure of several ramps that provide access to the bridge. Drivers are encouraged to plan their drive, and when possible, use alternate routes to get around the bridge. The project is expected to be complete by Nov. 15, 2021. For updates and detours, please go to BrentSpenceBridgeInfo.org
• U.S. 25 (Dixie Highway) – 9.2 milepost – Norfolk Southern has scheduled railway repairs. The crossing near KY 1829 (Industrial Road) will be closed to traffic Thursday through Saturday, Oct. 28 -30, starting approximately at 8 a.m. until work is complete. A signed detour will be in place using KY 1829 (Industrial Road) to KY 2847/KY 3503 (Empire Drive) to U.S. 25 (Dixie Highway). Motorists should be alert in the work zone.
• KY 3159 (Ted Bushelman Blvd.) 0 – 0.6 mile-marker – A widening and road improvement project on KY 3159 (Ted Bushelman Blvd.) is in progress. Motorists should be alert in the work zone.
• U.S. 42 Bridge (13.9 mile-marker) over I-71/75 (180 mile-marker) – A project is in progress that will add a new westbound lane and pedestrian sidewalk. One lane in each direction on I-71/75 is closed within the project area. In addition, both shoulders in both directions are closed within the project area. Motorists should watch for lane closures, crews and equipment in the work zone.
• KY 237 (Pleasant Valley Road) – A project is in progress on Pleasant Valley Road between Valley View Drive and Rogers Lane. The roadway is being widened and re-aligned and includes the construction of a bridge and roundabout. Traffic is on the new alignment from just north of Oakbrook Road/Carters Mill Lane to Rogers Lane to allow for the next phase of construction.
The new traffic pattern will keep one lane open in each direction on KY 237 and Camp Ernst Road. All traffic will utilize the new roundabout intersection of KY 237 and Camp Ernst Road. Traffic is on the new alignment from just north of Oakbrook Road/Carters Mill Lane to Rogers Lane to allow for the next phase of construction. The new traffic pattern will keep one lane open in each direction on KY 237 and Camp Ernst Road.
Through Wednesday, Oct. 27, weather permitting:
A portion of Jamestown Ct. between Pleasant Valley Rd. and Cumberland Circle will be CLOSED for ongoing improvement work within the project area.
Two lanes of travel will remain open on Pleasant Valley Rd. (one lane in each direction). The entrance to Founders Way also will remain open.
Residents of Cumberland Circle should access Pleasant Valley Rd. via Thunder Ridge Dr. or Oakbrook Dr.
• KY 536 (Mt Zion Road) Double Crossover Diamond (DCD) interchange – Construction is in progress between Tiburon Drive and US 25 (Dixie Highway). The new single-lane roundabout at the intersection of Sherwood Lakes Dr. and the Biltmore Connector is now OPEN. The new connection that runs from Biltmore Blvd. to Investment Way also is open. As a reminder, traffic wishing to enter the roundabout should always yield to traffic already circling the roundabout.
Through Friday, Oct. 29, weather permitting:
A new travel pattern on Mt. Zion Rd. (KY 536) is in place so that roadway widening and other improvements can continue. East and westbound traffic is using the newly built pavement on the south side of Mt. Zion Rd. from Highland Dr. to the I-71/75 overpass while work continues on the north side of the roadway.
This traffic pattern is expected to be in place through Friday, Oct. 29.
Ongoing traffic impacts, weather permitting:
Crews will be working along Mt. Zion Rd. between Tiburon Dr. and Dixie Hwy. (US 25). Occasional lane closures may occur, but traffic will be maintained with flaggers when needed.
The access road that connect Berberich Dr. and Sam Neace Dr. is open.
• KY 338 (Richwood Road) Double Crossover Diamond (DCD) interchange and U.S. 25 Dixie Highway SPUI – Work is in progress. The construction of a new roundabout at Grand National Blvd. and Richwood Rd. (KY 338) will require several road closures within the project area, weather permitting.
Through Tuesday, Oct. 26, weather permitting:
Following the reopening of Grand National Blvd., a 21-day closure will be put into place at the intersection of Triple Crown Blvd. and Richwood Rd. A detour route using Paddock Dr., Secretariat Run, and Triple Crown Blvd. will be put into place and marked with signage.
Grand National Blvd. will be reopened to traffic, however, the following restrictions will remain in place:
Drivers traveling northbound on Grand National Blvd. will not be permitted to turn left from Grand National Blvd. onto Richwood Rd.; only right turns will be permitted. The detour route using Grand National Blvd., Wooded Knoll Dr., Savannah Dr., and Sutherland Dr. will remain in place.
Drivers traveling westbound on Richwood Rd. will not be permitted to turn left onto Grand National Blvd. and should continue to use the existing detour route via Sutherland Dr.
Ongoing traffic impacts, weather permitting:
Traffic on U.S. 25 is in a new traffic pattern as work continues within the project area.
Ongoing Traffic Reminders:
The right lane of I-71/75 northbound is closed from approximately one-half mile south of the Richwood Rd. (KY 338) exit to the bridge over Frogtown Rd. (The length of the closure is approximately one mile.) This closure is expected to remain in place through the end of the year while improvement work continues in the northbound ramp area.
In addition, the right lane of I-71/75 southbound is closed at the Richwood Rd. (KY 338) exit for approximately one mile. This closure is expected to be in place through the end of the year.
Crews are working along Richwood Rd. (KY 338) between Triple Crown Blvd./Grand National Blvd. and Dixie Hwy. (US 25), and along the US 25 corridor. Occasional lane closures may occur, but traffic will be maintained with flaggers when needed. Please be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the project area.
Crews also are continuing work on Best Pal Dr., Winning Colors Dr., and Triple Crown Blvd. weekdays between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. During this time, temporary road closures may be needed, and short-term detours will be put into place.
Railroad Crossings Update:
The Old Lexington Pike railroad crossing just south of Richwood Rd. is closed.
All traffic will use Chambers Rd. to access US 25 and I-71/75. Temporary traffic signals have been installed at the intersection of Chambers Rd. and US 25 to help improve traffic flow. (Signals will remain flashing until operational.)
This traffic pattern is expected to be in place throughout the duration of our construction work, which is scheduled to continue through 2022, but options to reduce the length of this closure are being evaluated.
The railroad crossing at Richwood Rd. and US 25 is now permanently closed.
During construction, traffic will cross the railroad tracks at the intersection of Shorland Dr./Winning Colors Dr., where new traffic signals are operational and timed to help ease congestion and support traffic flow through the intersection.
This closure is needed so that temporary railroad tracks can be built in the project area to allow for major intersection improvements at Richwood Rd. and US 25.
• New I-275 – Graves Road Interchange – The new DCD interchange is OPEN to traffic. Work will continue on a new road connecting to KY 20 (Petersburg Road). Graves Road is closed between Worldwide Blvd. and Sequoia Dr. Access for residential traffic only will be permitted. The closure is expected to remain in place until Nov. 2021, weather permitting, and is needed so that construction of the new roadway can take place.
• KY 8 (Mary Ingles Highway) 18 milepost – A bridge rehabilitation project will soon begin on the truss bridge that crosses Twelvemile Creek. Starting Oct. 28, crews will be on-site clearing the area to prepare for construction. It is anticipated that a total closure will begin Jan. 3. Once a date is confirmed, the bridge will be closed to traffic for 150 days. A signed detour will be in place.
• KY 9 (Licking Pike) 20.9 – 21.9 mile-marker – KY 9 will be closed to through traffic between Aspen Ct and W 12th Street for floodgate work on Monday, Oct. 25. The closure will be during the hours of 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Local traffic will have access, but no access through the floodgate area. The signed detour will be KY 9 to KY 1632 to U.S. 27 to KY 1120 to KY 9.
• KY 445 (Mary Ingles Highway) 0 – 1.1 mile-marker – A resurfacing project is in progress on a section of KY 445 (Mary Ingles Highway) between KY 8 (Industrial Road) and KY 6335 (Old KY 8). Milling and resurfacing work will begin Oct. 25. Motorists should watch for flaggers and lane closures during daytime hours. Work is weather-dependent.
• U.S. 27 (0 – 1 mile-marker) – A safety improvement project is in progress on U.S. 27. Construction will focus on three areas: the KY 177 intersection (17.1-17.5 marker ) going northbound to just past KY 3162 (Lock Road) intersection, the Boss Dunaway Road intersection (19 milepost) in northern Pendleton County and the intersection of Plum Creek Church Road (1 milepost) in southern Campbell County. Motorists should be aware of crews and lane closures in the work zone areas.
• I-71 Northbound and Southbound (69.9 – 59.9 mile-marker) – A resurfacing project on a 10-mile section of I-71 will start Oct. 31 will base failure work on several locations between KY 35 (Sparta Pike) near the Kentucky Speedway north to the Boone County line. Motorists should watch for lane closures and crews during nighttime hours of 8 p.m. until 8 a.m. the following morning. This project will coordinate with the current bridge deck project. The nighttime work is expected to be done by Nov. 8. Work will resume in the Spring of 2022 with resurfacing the 10-mile section.
• I-71 Northbound (63.5 – 67.1 mile-marker) – A bridge deck overlay project on three interstate bridges is in progress. Starting Oct. 21, a northbound single lane closure between the 63.5 – 67.1 mile-marker will be in place until approximately Nov. 20. A 13 ft. wide restriction will be in place in the work zone. Motorists should expect delays.
• U.S. 42 (3.1 – 4.6 mile-marker) – Work continues on a landslide repair project on U.S. 41 from the Markland Dam to Craigs Creek. Once a date is confirmed the road will be closed to all traffic. A signed detour will be in place to direct vehicles onto KY 1039 to I-71 to KY 35. A signed detour will be in place to direct vehicles onto KY 1039 to I-71 to KY 35.
• KY 467 (Warsaw Road) 2.5 – 11.7 mile-marker/Curry Road (0 – .08 mile-marker) – A base failure, resurfacing project is in progress on KY 467 from KY 1132 (Folsom Road) o KY 22 in Dry Ridge. All of Curry Road will be resurfaced. Crews will work during daylight hours. Some weekend work is possible. Motorists should exercise caution and watch for flaggers, traffic control devices, construction personnel, and equipment entering and leaving the work zone.
• KY 236 (Stevenson Road) – 1.3 milepost – Norfolk Southern has scheduled railway repairs. The crossing at KY 236 (Stevenson Road) will be closed to traffic Monday – Wednesday, Nov. 1 – 3, starting approximately at 8 a.m. until work is complete. A signed detour will be in place using U.S. 25 (Dixie Highway) to KY 1303 (Turkeyfoot Road) to KY 236 (Stevenson Road).
• KY 536 (Visalia Road) 7.3 – 10.2 mile-marker – A resurfacing project on KY 536 between Staffordsburg Road and KY 177 (Decoursey Pike) is in progress. Base failure work will take place first. Milling and paving operations will follow Lane closure with flaggers will be in place during working hours, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., to control traffic in the work zone. Work is weather-dependent.
• KY 17 (Madison Pike) 4.3 – 4.8 mile-marker/7.8 milepost – A highway safety improvement project has begun to improve sight distance between the area of KY 14 and Cruise Creek and realign the KY 17 intersection at KY 2042 (Moffett Road). Utility work is currently in progress. Motorists should watch for crews, equipment, flaggers, and possible lane closures during the project.
• KY 1501 (Hands Pike) – Construction on a new, two-lane road will realign Hands Pike from the KY 17 (Madison Pike) and KY 3035 (Old Madison Pike) intersection to Crystal Lake Drive is in progress. Motorists should watch for construction crews and equipment in the project area. Blasting operations are in progress. Daily blasting will occur in the project area Monday – Friday, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. A warning siren will sound five minutes before the blast, as well as a warning siren one minute before the blast. Motorists on KY 1501 (Hand Pike) can be stopped during the operation. Please watch for flaggers.
• John A. Roebling Bridge (KY 17) – The John A. Roebling Bridge is completely closed to vehicular traffic for a lengthy restoration project to preserve the 154 year-old historic landmark. A pedestrian walkway will remain open during the project. Additional repairs have been added to the project. The bridge will be closed to motorists through the end of the year. Work will continue in the spring 2022 that will require lane closures. Motorists may use the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge (U.S. 25) or the 4th Street/Veterans Bridge (KY 8) to the Taylor Southgate Bridge (U.S. 27) as a detour.
• KY 2373 (Bromley-Crescent Springs Road) – 3.1 – 3.8 mile-marker – A safety improvement project is in progress between Anderson Road and Amsterdam Road. Watch for crews, equipment and lane closures in the work zone. The road is closed to through traffic until Spring 2022, so that crews can do utility work and install a box culvert and retaining wall. Motorists may use Anderson Road (KY 2373) to Buttermilk Pike (KY 371) to Collins Road to Amsterdam Road as a detour.
• U.S. 27 (17.1 – 19.3 mile-marker) – A safety improvement project is in progress on U.S. 27. Construction will focus on three areas: the KY 177 intersection (17.1-17.5 marker ) going northbound to just past KY 3162 (Lock Road) intersection, the Boss Dunaway Road intersection (19 milepost) in northern Pendleton County and the intersection of Plum Creek Church Road (1 milepost) in southern Campbell County. Motorists should be aware of crews and lane closures in the work zone areas.
WORK ZONE TIPS
1. Expect the unexpected.
2. Slow down.
3. Don’t tailgate. Keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you.
4. Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the construction workers and equipment.
5. Pay attention to the signs.
6. Obey road crew flaggers.
7. Stay alert and minimize distractions.
8. Keep up with the traffic flow.
9. Navigate traffic with GoKY TRIMARC or via Waze on your smartphone!
10. You can follow us on the social media links below.
11. Knowing where the construction zones are prior to the trip can minimize frustration and delays.
12. Be patient and stay calm.
For details see DrivingNKYProgress.