MANHATTAN, Kansas – Paced by an early goal from sophomore Adah Anderson, K-State soccer opened its two-match preseason schedule with a 1-0 win on Saturday over Missouri State at Buser Family Park.
– Saturday’s match was played with modified rules, as there were four, 30-minute segments with five minutes between each segment.
– Temperature at kick-off was 95 degrees with a heat index of 103.
– K-State was able to utilize all four goalkeepers – Alaina Werremeyer, Morgan Hobbs, Madison Wingler and Rachel Harris during the four segments. Werremeyer was credited with the win, while Hobbs, Wingler and Harris combined for the Wildcats’ four saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– In the second minute, Anderson was on the receiving end of a deep service from senior Kursten von Klahr. Anderson was able to put her forehead on the ball and redirected it past Missouri State goalkeeper, Hannah Peterson, near the left post.
– Anderson has now scored three goals in K-State preseason action over the last two seasons, as she scored a pair at South Dakota State in 2021.
– K-State finished the afternoon with a 21-5 advantage in total shots and an 8-4 edge in shots on goal. In total, K-State saw 14 different players register at least one shot attempt.
– Anderson ended the afternoon with three shots, all on goal.
– Seniors Kyler Goins and Caylee Thornhill also added three shots each.
– The Wildcats also outpaced the Bears in corners, 5-3.
FROM THE HEAD COACH
K-State Head Coach Mike Dibbini
“There were a lot of good moments. There were a lot of moments that you can tell that we need more time together. It was good to see everybody play that was available today. I think it gives us a big picture of what we need to work on. This is what we needed. We got tired of training against each other. So hopefully we can watch a little bit of video and break it down a little bit more and be even sharper against Wyoming. We know we’ve got a long way to go and this is just a scrimmage but it’s good for us to get that result at home.”
K-State completes its preseason slate on Wednesday, as the Wildcats travel to Laramie, Wyoming, to face Wyoming at 2 p.m.