There are now 10 Covid ‘blackspots’ in Hertfordshire as two neighbourhoods pass a worrying infection mark.
The news comes as scientists hope that the booster jab rollout and immunity from the summertime spread of the more transmissible Delta variant should help the UK escape the surge of infections seen in parts of Europe.
Austria, for example, is going into a full-scale lockdown for 10 days from Monday (November 22) while Switzerland, Croatia, Italy and the Netherlands also have implemented stricter measures.
In Herts, 10 neighbourhoods are now considered to be Covid ‘blackspots’, according to latest government data published on Sunday (November 21).
Two of those – Sawbridgeworth and Royston North & Central – both have a total case rate of over 1,000 per 100,000 people.
Subscribe to our free daily HertsLive newsletter below to get the latest news straight to your inbox:
If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.
The twice-daily update will deliver the top news and features straight to your inbox.
We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.
Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.
It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.
That’s according to recent figures which take into account the seven days to November 16.
Case rates are calculated by dividing the seven-day total by the area population and multiplying by 100,000.
The data is shown on an interactive map on gov.uk, with Covid ‘blackspots’ considered areas with infection rates of over 800.
The 10 Covid ‘blackspots’ across Herts
Below are the total number of cases and the case rate per 100,000 people for each of the 10 ‘blackspots’ in the week up to November 16.
- Sawbridgeworth: 114 total cases, case rate of 1,248.4 per 100,000 people
- Hertford Foxholes: 51 total cases, case rate of 850.3 per 100,000 people
- Haldens: 51 total cases, case rate of 832 per 100,000 people
- Welwyn and Hatfield Garden Village: 75 total cases, case rate of 931.8 per 100,000 people
- Tring North: 44 total cases, case rate of 852.7 per 100,000 people
- Hitchin Town and West: 100 total cases, case rate of 858.2 per 100,000 people
- Hitchin Bearton: 81 total cases, case rate of 943.6 per 100,000 people
- Stotfold: 104 total cases, case rate of 810.3 per 100,000 people
- Royston North & Central: 67 total cases, case rate of 1,153 per 100,000 people
- Royston South, West & East: 110 total cases, case rate of 973.3 per 100,000 people
Want the latest Herts news direct to your inbox? Sign up here.